Yay! Here’s the first prompt that I promised to write in my last post.
“Write a list of ten resolutions you have for yourself right now.”
- Write. Write more than just work emails and grocery lists. Write to feel. Write to let it out. Write because your soul needs it. (P.S. That book won’t write itself!) And keep looking for more writing jobs. When the timing is right, you’ll find one. Stay positive.
- Stop worrying so much. What good does worrying do for you? Remember when you were a kid and mom had to buy you a “worry doll” to give all your worries to before you went to bed? Do we need to bring that back? Write them down if you need to. (See #1!) Worry doesn’t change the future, it just prevents you from enjoying the present.
- Have more fun with your outfits. I know you’re tired of all your work clothes, and on the weekends it’s hard to care about what you look like, but you know you feel more confident when you look good. As easy as it is to wear the same old slacks and blouse to work, try changing it up a little bit. And go shopping for some cute new items that you could possibly incorporate into your existing wardrobe in hopes of looking like that girl you saw on Pinterest!
- Eat less sugar, and more protein/veggies. Seriously. A bowl of Reese’s Puffs and a Starbucks is a tasty breakfast, but you know you can do better. Have protein at every meal, not just dinner.
- Be present. You’re a planner, I know. But when those plans don’t work out exactly how you envisioned them, let it be. Stop making a new plan that you think will somehow be superior to the last plan. Stop living in the future; it will be here soon enough, and if you don’t stop looking forward to it, you will miss it.
- Expand your playlists. Do you know how much good music is out there? And you are dealing with a handful in a sea of goodness. I know you love your Thumbprint radio, but try a “recommended station” some day. Maybe you’ll find a new favorite! It’s not like you’re cheating on P!nk or Adele by listening to someone else. I bet they would even encourage it!
- Eat better lunches at work! Put in the effort to make your lunch, because you know if you don’t you’re stuck with the food at the office or you’re going to have to spend money that you will ultimately regret. Just do it.
- Reach out to friends more. You do a decent job of keeping in touch with close friends, but you’re always wanting more people to hang out with. So reach out more often, and find out more about their current lives. Everyone loves to talk about themselves, right? On that same note, try to make more friends somehow. Relax your RBF and smile more. I’m sure that will go a long way.
- Stare at screens less! Seriously. Read a book. Write (Again with that Number 1!) Bake. Sit outside with a cup of coffee. Play with Ninja. Do something that doesn’t involve a screen. Use your imagination if you have to.
- Stop being so hard on yourself. You may not have the perfect job that you want right now, but you have a job. You may not be using your degree to its fullest, but you’re trying to. You may not love the way you look right at this moment, but who doesn’t have moments like that? You may not have your life on the track you wanted, but do you even know what track you want now? Remember to forgive others, and yourself. We’re all just humans. Be compassionate. You only live once, so do it right.